Once a patient has chosen to proceed with tummy tuck cosmetic surgery, they will have an opportunity to engage in a detailed consultation with the surgeon. The surgeon may prefer to schedule this appointment well ahead of the desired date of surgery so that the patient can have adequate time for preparation.
The patient should be ready to participate proactively in the consultation process and make the most of this opportunity. A good consultation will lay the foundation for a safe and predictable surgery. Board certified plastic surgeon Roger Tsai, MD provides tummy tuck to patients in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA , and surrounding communities.
One of the vital elements in the tummy tuck consultation process is an evaluation of the general health of the patient to determine whether they are fit to undergo this surgery. The surgeon will review the patient’s medical records and examine their abdominal anatomy and skin elasticity.
The patient should be forthcoming about any underlying health condition as well as current medications that they may be taking.
If the patient is a smoker, they will be required to quit the habit for at least a specified time period before and after the plastic surgery. The surgeon will also assess the patient’s skin type and thickness as well as abdominal muscle laxity in order to create an appropriate surgical plan for tummy tuck.
Cosmetic Goals of the Patient
Every patient will have their own cosmetic goals and expectations from a tummy tuck surgery. The surgeon will seek to understand these goals during the consultation and incorporate them in the customized surgery plan.
The type of tummy tuck surgical technique, the extent of correction, and the placement of incisions are some decisions that can be made more appropriately when the surgeon accounts for the patient’s specific aesthetic requirements.
During the pre-op consultation for tummy tuck surgery, the patient should freely discuss about their:
- Personal aesthetic needs and goals
- Medical and ongoing treatments, if any
- Any known drug allergies
- Current prescription and non-prescription medications, including herbal supplements and vitamins
- Past or present use of tobacco, alcohol or drugs
- Previous abdominal surgeries, if any
During the tummy tuck consultation, the surgeon may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Evaluation of the patient’s general health condition, pre-existing illnesses, and risk factors
- Taking pre-operative photographs of the patient
- Discussing treatment options and costs
- Informing about any non-surgical alternatives
- Recommending the best surgical technique
- Explaining the likely outcome of tummy tuck
- Informing the risks and complications
- Discussing the recovery and downtime
- Answering the patient’s questions
- Presenting tummy tuck before and after images as well as past patient testimonials and reviews as required
The patient should preferably create a checklist of questions that they want to ask during the consultation. An experienced surgeon will address all questions to the patient’s satisfaction. Dedicated and standout cosmetic surgeon Roger Tsai, MD receives patients from West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas across the landscape for tummy tuck surgery.
For more information on cosmetic plastic surgery procedures and treatments by Beverly Hills board certified plastic surgeon, Roger Tsai, MD please click here or call us at 310.276.1190. Taking patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Orange County, Southern California and other surrounding cities.