A neck lift cosmetic surgery is designed to enhance the appearance of the neck by removing sagging skin and tightening the underlying muscles. The surgeon develops a slimmer and more contoured neck appearance with a neck lift which offers the patient a more youthful look.
While the neck lift is only a type of body contouring procedure, in many cases it may appear as if the patient has lost weight after the surgery.
The excess skin is removed, and the underlying muscles are made firmer, which will improve the jowly appearance to reveal an enhanced jawline.
If the patient has excess fatty pockets in the neck region, the surgeon may perform the neck lift in combination with liposuction to create a more appealing and defined neck appearance. The results may be more complete when a neck lift surgery is undertaken in combination with a facelift.
Patients above 40 years of age typically undergo neck lift plastic surgery. Around this age, the neck skin typically starts to become loose. Ideal neck lift candidates will have one or more of the following attributes:
- There is damage to the neck skin due to sun and wind exposure over time
- Excess fat pockets in the neck are causing the appearance of a double chin
- A turkey wattle neck is visible as the neck skin is loose
- Prominent jowly appearance due to the presence of excess skin and fat beneath the jaws
- Noticeable wrinkles, folds, and creases in the neck area
The surgeon may recommend that the patient undergo only neck liposuction if the candidate requires only minor contouring. However, if the patient needs a full neck lift surgery, it will involve the below mentioned steps:
- The patient is administered general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation
- The surgeon places discreet incisions underneath the chin or behind the ears or both, depending on the surgical approach being used
- The platysma muscle is made tighter, and the surgeon sutures these together to lift the neck
- The surgeon eliminates loose skin and excess fatty tissue
- The remaining skin and tissue are repositioned and secured using sutures to create a smoother neck appearance
- The surgeon seals the incisions with sutures as well as places temporary drain tubes in the incisions areas before bandaging the wounds
An initial recovery period of around one week may be involved in a neck lift procedure. During the recovery phase, the patient should get sufficient rest but perform gentle walks and light activities within their home. The surgeon may also prescribe pain drugs and antibiotics for a few days.
They will take out the sutures and drain pipes at the end of the first week. Most patients can return to their routine at this point but must avoid aggressive activities for another two to three weeks.
Cosmetic surgeon Roger Tsai, MD receives patients from West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas for neck lift.
For more information on cosmetic plastic surgery procedures and treatments by Beverly Hills board certified plastic surgeon, Roger Tsai, MD please click here or call us at 310.276.1190. Taking patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Orange County, Southern California and other surrounding cities.